Pastoral Council Minutes

SACRED HEART PARISH

150 Fleury Avenue

Prescott, AZ 86301

(928) 445-3141

Pastoral Council Meeting Minutes

February 8, 2016

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin Merlino, Fr. Ralph Berg, Fr. Raj Irudayaraj, Gene Murphy, Gary Toro, Claudia Jones-Lezama, Israel Erwin, Ginny Shugars,   Jack Connolly, Roger Dubin, Bud Bevenour, Matt Thomson.

ABSENT:

Harry Gooding, Greg Watts, Kathy Huston.

GUESTS:

Deacon Pete Balland.

I. OPENING PRAYER

Deacon Pete opened the meeting at 5:30 with a prayer.

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The January 21, 2016 minutes were approved as submitted.

III. OLD BUSINESS

A.           Capital Campaign – Gene reported we currently have $1,985,263.69 in pledges - 79.4% of the 2.5 million we need. At this time, we have received $734,656.79 of the pledged amount, which means 38.74%.of the pledges have been paid. Thus far, 33.1 % of our parishioners have sent in a pledge.

           Daryl Prater will join us at our March 7, 2016 meeting to go over our campaign results and answer any questions we may have.

          We have received a 46 page structural analysis report. Rick Frost, Michael Taylor and Steve, our architect, will meet February 17 to review that report. Our church was built in 1969, using 1967 codes. Under the present codes, installing a fire sprinkler system above a false ceiling would not be advised. We will add two EXIT lights and adjust the downstairs doors to “push” vs “pull” as recommended. Additional recommended details will be available at our March 7th meeting.

B.           The LOTW program is spreading in Arizona. Dr. Jim Mick, one of our LOTW graduates, will be helping set up the LOTW program in a Tucson parish and St. Andrews, in Chandler, is also starting the program in their parish.    

IV. NEW BUSINESS

A.           Sacred Heart Parish will join with other parishes around the world to participate in 24 Hours for the Lord, as proclaimed by Pope Francis. On Friday, March 4th, after the 7:00 am Mass, the Monstrance will be placed on the altar to begin 24 hours of adoration.   It will be returned to the Adoration Chapel at 6:30 am, Friday, March 5th. Our various ministry groups are asked to commit to adore, as a group if possible, at some time during these 24 hours. There will be a priest present in the church at all times, and confessions will be heard during the entire 24 hour period. Pastoral Council members will be scheduled for adoration Friday evening – the time to be determined. We invite all parishioners and friends to join in this important spiritual event.

B.        Fr. Darrin will provide the names and web sites of various artists so that we might review some of the artwork our parish might be interested in once the church is remodeled.

 

V. SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS

     A.     The Diocese will begin its own capital campaign for $111 million in 2017. We will not be included until 2019, after our capital campaign is completed.  

     B.   The donated Ford Thunderbird car will be taken to Phoenix to sell, if it isn’t sold here in Prescott.

     C.     There were various suggestions concerning the locations of our Masses during the renovation process.   Sectioning off different areas of the church for our Mass celebrations vs. holding our Masses in the school gym or in another facility was discussed. Further discussion is needed.

     D.   A recent event-scheduling controversy has reinforced the requirement that Fr. Darrin must be notified in advance of any major event being scheduled in our parish. He has the final responsibility for what “may” or “may not” be scheduled.

     E.    We were each given Tools for Rebuilding, a follow-on book to Rebuilt, by Michael White and Tom Corcoran. We are to read the book by our March 7th meeting, so that we might discuss how we could utilize some of the ideas presented. The books are to be returned to Gene to be redistributed once we have read them.    

     F.       There was a discussion on possibly using t-shirts, pins, etc. to identify LOTW graduates, so that they would be more noticeable and available to answer questions that others might have about the program.

     G.       Jack Connolly and Kevin Keighron have visited another popular church community to study how that community works with their newcomers, and to get some fresh ideas for our parish. Jack reported on their findings and will be meeting with their representative to get additional information.

VI. CLOSING PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 with Fr. Darrin leading the closing prayer.

VII. NEXT MEETING

Our next meeting will be on Monday, March 7, 2016, at 5.30 p.m. in the church library.

Respectfully submitted,

Ginny Shugars, secretary

January 21, 2016

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin Merlino, Gene Murphy, Fr. Raj Irudayaraj, Fr. Ralph Berg, Gary Toro, Harry Gooding, Ginny Shugars, Roger Dubin, Kathy Huston, Bud Bevenour,  Greg Watts, Matt Thomson.

ABSENT:

Claudia Jones-Lezama, Israel Erwin, Jack Connolly.

GUESTS:

Deacon Pete Balland, Kevin Keighron

I. OPENING PRAYER

Fr. Darrin opened the meeting at 5:30 with a prayer.

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The December 3, 2015 minutes were approved as submitted.

III. OLD BUSINESS

A.           Parish Mission Articulation – Kevin Keighron discussed how we might develop a parish culture that would enhance our success in achieving our parish vision of “living our faith” through evangelization and feeding our spiritual life.  The challenge would be to identify, with lay participation and cooperation, our current parish beliefs and behavior. We would then modify those if necessary to transform our parish into a more alive, spiritually nourishing, attractive, and fun environment.  The process will take sound planning and time (possibly 3-7 years) to accomplish, but would give us the freedom and opportunity to mold our own environment and to help build the future of our parish.

             An appointed leadership steering committee is to meet twice monthly to develop and implement a plan. To insure that that plan remains in force over the years, it will be presented to the Claretian Provincial Council to develop a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), so that future Sacred Heart pastors will be aware of it, and will continue to follow through with the proposals.  The plan will be presented to the parish.

              Each council member received a copy of the present proposal and was asked to critique and/or modify it as needed.  Kevin will review everything at our February meeting as a step in finalizing the plan.  A shared MissionVisionValue (MVV) ½ day workshop/retreat to review the current mission of Sacred Heart is tentatively scheduled for the Fall of 2016. 

B.       Capital Campaign Financial Update – Our Capital Campaign has had phenomenal results.  To date, we have received $ 1.971 million in pledges. That’s 78.8% of the total amount needed.  We have already received $701,000, which represents 35% of our pledged amount.  To date 32.6 % of our congregation has made a pledge to the Capital Campaign.  On-line donations have been fantastic.  We must have 60% of the total amount needed to begin the renovation process.

C.         Building Committee Update – A 46 page report should arrive in a couple of days.  It will need to be recapped into laymen’s terms, but we should have hard numbers by our February meeting.

            On January 4, 2016, representatives of the Building Code Department and the Fire Marshalls checked our facilities.  Their final report has not been received, however a few problems were identified and either have been, or are in the process of being resolved.  They estimated that the proposed ‘fire suppression system’ may cost less than we originally estimated.  The going rate is $6.50 per square foot.

IV. NEW BUSINESS

A.         Yavapai Big Brother and Sister Program – Deacon Pete reported that Christina, a graduate of Sacred Heart School, is the new head of this program.  She replaces Kathy Murphy, who ran the program for years.

B.          Reports – There was a discussion of gifting a Heritage Year Coin as a ‘Thank You’ to Capital Campaign donors who pledged/donated significant amounts to the campaign.  The idea was well received and will be implemented.

              Recent Capital Campaign ‘thank you’ notes were addressed.  Adjustments may have to be made.

              We showed a 9 ¾ % increase in our plate collection in our Diocesan Mid-year Review report.

          We received a $995.00 APS credit on our parish school solar bill.

           Presently, there are three active members on our Stewardship Council.  Fr. Raj is working with them.

           We want to become a Stewardship Parish and be able to give 10% as our tithe for various charitable         needs.  Presently, we are able to give 5%.

 

VI. CLOSING PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 7:10 with Deacon Pete leading the closing prayer.

VII. NEXT MEETING

Our next meeting will be on Monday, February 8th at 5.30 p.m. in the church library.

Respectfully submitted,

Ginny Shugars, secretary

December 03, 2015  

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin   Merlino, Fr. Ralph Berg, Gary Toro, Matt Thomson, Gene Murphy, Roger Dubin,   Claudia Jones-Lezama,  Ginny Shugars,   Jack Connolly,  Kathy Huston, Harry   Gooding, Greg Watts, Israel Erwin.

ABSENT:

Bud Bevenour, Fr.   Raj Irudayaraj

GUESTS:

Deacon Pete Balland, Terry Brennan, Kevin Keighron

I. OPENING   PRAYER

Harry Gooding opened the meeting   at 5:30 with a prayer. 

II. APPROVAL OF   MINUTES

The November 02, 2015 minutes   were approved as submitted.

III. OLD BUSINESS

  1.   Finance Council chairman, Terry Brennan, presented   the council with graphs that recapped the income and expenses of the parish,   school, preschool, and ministries for the first four months of fiscal 2015   (July 1 – Oct. 31).  Questions and   answers followed.  Additionally, we   received graphs and information about the HOPE Collection.
  2.   Fr. Darrin gave us up to date information about the   Capital Campaign.  The results are   positive, and as additional information is compiled, our parish members will   be informed.
  3.   Regarding church renovations, Gene Murphy and Greg   Watts reported that both inside and outside site observations will be   studied, and a report with calculations should be available by Christmas.   Also, there is a PAC (Pre-Application Conference) with the City Council   scheduled for December 17th.  By   the end of December we hope to have a report on the structural integrity of   our building.  Frost Engineering will   work with Mike to determine the existing and possible future roof bearing   loads.  The selection of a building   committee is in progress and, once finalized, will meet to discuss the   results of the above reports.

IV. NEW BUSINESS

     Kevin Keighron led us in a lively   discussion of Rebuilt, a book Fr. Darrin had requested we read. Parts of   the book might be useful to us as a parish and we discussed how we might   implement some of the ideas presented.    Kevin will be conferring with our priests to provide a process on how   we, as parish council, finance council and staff,  might best utilize that information to help   our parish to become an even more spiritual, welcoming, hospitable, exciting,   and evangelical home for everyone. 

 

 

V. CLOSING PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 with Claudia leading the   closing prayer. 

VI. NEXT MEETING

Our next meeting will be on Thursday,   January 21st, 2015 at 5.30 p.m. in the church library.  We will be notified if a location change has to be made.

Respectfully submitted,

Ginny Shugars, secretary

November 2, 2015

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin   Merlino, Israel Erwin, Ginny Shugars, Jack Connolly, Kathy Huston, Bud   Bevenour, Harry Gooding, Greg Watts, Gary Toro, Matt Thomson

ABSENT:

Fr. Raj   Irudayaraj, Fr. Ralph Berg, Gene Murphy, Roger Dubin, Claudia Jones-Lezama

GUESTS:

None

I. OPENING   PRAYER

Harry Gooding opened the meeting   at 5:30 with a prayer. 

II. APPROVAL OF   MINUTES

The October 5, 2015 minutes were   approved as submitted.

III. OLD BUSINESS

  1.   Our Advent Mission is scheduled for December 14th   and 15th.
  2.   Our Lenten Mission will be presented by Jessie Romero   and is scheduled for February 22nd and 23rd.       He will accept a free will offering for   his services.  Mr. Romero is one of the   top evangelists in the U.S.
  3.   Fr. Darrin has ordered 1800 copies of Rediscover   Jesus.  One copy per family will be   distributed to parishioners during our Christmas Masses.
  4.   Jack Connolly researched the “Called and Gifted Small   Group Process Program” that Fr. Darrin introduced during our October meeting.  Jack and Fr. Darrin both feel that it would   work well with our parish small faith group program.  It was suggested that every 2-3 months our   parish present the program to those parishioners who might be interested. The   program uses seven one hour discs. 
  5.   Other possibilities for the disposition of the 1965   Ford Thunderbird were discussed.  Sale, auction, e-bay,   and auto trader were suggested.
  6.          A   discussion on the placement of the planned elevator was tabled pending   further research on city requirements.
  7.   The February LOTW retreat has been cancelled because   it is Presidents’ Day weekend.

IV. NEW BUSINESS

  1.      Kevin Keighron (Chief Operation Officer @   YRMC) met with Fr. Darrin to discuss the articulation of the parish   mission. 
  2.     Greg commented on the present membership   of the Building Committee.  Other   interested parishioners with engineering, construction, and/or business savvy   are welcome to join the committee.  Our   contract manager, Greg Watts, would be the contact person.  Mike Taylor will be the   contractor-at-risk.  
  3.     We are awaiting the decision from the   Claretian community concerning a possible $10,000 donation for a stained   glass window featuring the Immaculate Heart of Mary – a request from Fr.   Darrin.
  4.     The possible remodel “completion date”   was discussed in more detail.  A more   realistic estimate is that it will take 12-16 months to be completed after   the required monies are in hand. We’re looking at plus or minus four months   just to get the required permits.
  5.     A  Dominican from the Eastern    Provence will present a parish mission on “the rosary” in early   May 2016. 
  6.      It was decided that the review of the   book Rebuilt by the Pastoral Council will be held from 5:30 pm to 7 pm   on Thursday, December 3rd.    Everyone should have read the book by then.  Please note that this meeting will   replace the December 7th Council meeting.  Unless notified otherwise, the meeting   will be in the Library.

 

V. SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS

    A.        Bud will email council members with the procedures to use when it is   our individual turn to be the welcome person/welcome committee.  Fr.Darrin said the Stewardship Committee   would follow up with newcomers after the welcome committee member had invited   and met with the newcomers at the Knights pancake breakfast.

     B.        Fr. said we have a volunteer who has offered to “set up” and/or” tear   down” for various parish events.

     C.        In the future, Sacred    HeartSchool   and LOTW participants will be helping with serving donuts and coffee on   Sundays.

      D.       We were reminded that the Knights of Columbus “turkey drop off” will   be November 9th-19th.

      E.        Matt commented that the council is waiting for the parish financial   reports.

VI. CLOSING   PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 with Jack leading the   closing prayer. 

VII. NEXT MEETING

Our next meeting will be on Thursday,   December 3rd, 2015 at 5.30 p.m. in the church library.  Again, please note that this meeting will replace our previously   scheduled December 7th Pastoral Council meeting.

Respectfully submitted, Ginny Shugars, secretary

 

October 5, 2015

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin   Merlino, Fr. Raj Irudayaraj, Fr. Ralph Berg, Gary Toro, Matt Thomson, Ginny   Shugars, Jack Connolly, Roger Dubin, Kathy Huston, Bud Bevenour, Claudia   Jones-Lezama, Harry Gooding.

ABSENT:

Gene Murphy, Greg Watts, Israel   Erwin

GUESTS:

Deacon Pete Balland, Kevin Keighron (Chief Operations   Officer @ YRMC)

I. OPENING   PRAYER

Harry Gooding opened the meeting   at 5:30 with a prayer. 

II. APPROVAL OF   MINUTES

It was moved and seconded that   the August 24, 2015 minutes be approved as submitted.  The motion carried.

III. OLD AND NEW  BUSINESS

  1.   Our Advent Mission is scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, December 14th and 15th.
  2.   Our Lenten Mission, led by Jessie Romero, is scheduled for February 22nd and 23rd.
  3.   As part of our parish evangelization and as a gift to   our parishioners, we will distribute to those attending our Christmas Masses The   Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic.  Rediscover   Jesus will be distributed to those attending our Easter Masses, and Rediscover   Catholicism will be distributed to parishioners sometime during the   summer of 2016.  The parish cost for   these books will be very minimal.
  4.   Deacon Pete distributed Capital Campaign bookmarks   printed with our campaign prayer. They will be given to our parishioners at a   future date.
  5.   Fr. Darrin obtained the Called and Gifted Small   Group Process program for our parish.    The program focuses on discovering/discerning an individual’s charisms.  It is hoped that this program will be of   value to our parish, especially when the need arises to smoothly transition our   parish from one priest to another, as our Claretian priests are often reassigned   to other parishes.  Two ladies from St.   Andrew the Apostle parish are trained in the program and may be able to help   us with its facilitation.  There are   seven hours of DVD’s and personal interviews take 1-1/2 hours.
  6.         It was decided that, in lieu of a second collection, when our July 1st   fiscal year begins, we will designate that 10% of each weekly total collection be allocated to our general charity fund.  These monies will be distributed to various   charities (yet to be decided). The present eleven “mandated charities” will continue   as part of this plan.
  7.   After some discussion, it was decided that the 1965  Ford Thunderbird donated to the Capital Campaign be offered for sale.  Selling it at auction is a second choice.
  8.   Our Pastoral Council members have consented to take   one month turns welcoming new members to our parish.  Deacon Pete will provide the members with   the newcomer’s information and a format to follow as needed.
  9.        Fr. Darrin would like people who can   “think outside the box” to help come up with new ideas for the placement of   the planned elevator under the existing roofline.  If the elevator is added as an addition to   the building, as presently designed, city codes will require that we add a   sprinkler system to the entire building. The sprinkler system had been part   of the initial cost estimate for our remodel.    Its elimination may reduce that estimate.
  10.       Our next LOTW retreat will be November   6th-9th.
  11.   After the Pastoral Council’s further deliberation, it   was decided that a second weekday Mass is not feasible at this time.

 

 

IV. SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS

  1.   Fr. Darrin or Deacon Pete need to approve any papers,   bulletins, etc. that are to be left anywhere in the church.   
  2.   Roger Dubin will be sharing his conversion story on EWTN on November 9th.  Check the EWTN schedule for the time of   viewing and remember daylight saving time offset.
  3.   Due to retirements, etc., Deacon Pete is in critical   need of various ministers and sacristans to serve at our Masses by   mid-November or we will be forced to drop the distribution of the Precious   Blood to one time per month.  Twenty-two   people per Mass are needed to serve.

V. CLOSING PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 7:05 with Fr. Raj leading the closing prayer. 

VI. NEXT MEETING

Next meeting will be on Monday,   November 2nd at 5.30 p.m. in the YouthCenter.

Respectfully submitted, Ginny Shugars, secretary

 

August 24, 2015  

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin Merlino, Fr. Raj Irudayaraj, Fr. Ralph Berg, Gene Murphy, Gary Toro, Israel Erwin, Matt Thomson, Ginny Shugars, Jack Connolly, Roger Dubin, Bud Bevenour, Harry Gooding, Claudia Jones-Lezama

ABSENT:

Greg Watts, Kathy Huston.

GUESTS:

Deacon Pete Balland

I. OPENING PRAYER

Jack Connolly opened the meeting at 5:30 with a prayer. 

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

It was moved and seconded that the July 13, 2015 minutes be approved as submitted.  The motion carried.

III. OLD BUSINESS

  1. Gene relayed that we did great on our recently completed Facilities Audit.  Our diocesan Internal Review is currently in progress and should be completed by Wednesday of this week.  It’s looking good.
  2. We were happy to welcome Fr. Ralph Berg as he returns to our parish family. Additionally, we welcomed Israel Erwin to our pastoral council and are delighted to have him join us.
  3. Fr. Darrin proposed that members of the Pastoral Council take monthly turns welcoming newcomers to our parish.  He said details and procedures for council members will be forthcoming.  It was noted that there was precedence for the Pastoral Council members to participate in this ministry.
  4. Fr. received correspondence from the Judieans Society, EIN27-2025258 Public Charity, concerning the Catholic Pro-Life Clinic, (Prescott Pregnancy Clinic), they are hoping to start up.  We are requesting a complete business plan prior to further discussion.  The topic was tabled for now.
  5. Fr. Darrin said a 1965 Ford Thunderbird was donated to the Capital Campaign the day after the campaign kickoff announcement was made.  Also, a number of signed and numbered prints featuring Sedona, AZ are being donated towards the campaign.  A lively discussion concerning how best to market these donations followed.  Monetary donations are already starting to come in.  We discussed how best to thank donors of especially large amounts for their contributions to the campaign. 
  6.       Since our second collection basket has been discontinued, it was decided that no less than 10% of our total Sunday collections will be set aside for the organization that was to receive the second collection donations for that particular Sunday. 

IV. NEW BUSINESS

  1.  Some parishioners are interested in again having a second daily Mass.  At the present time, we are having difficulty trying to find volunteers to fully staff a single daily Mass.  Funeral Masses must also become part of the consideration.  We have almost 100 people attending daily Mass.
  2. The new officers for the 2015-2016 year were unanimously elected.  Harry Gooding will be our Chairman, Greg Watts will be our Vice-Chairman, and Ginny Shugars will be Secretary.
  3. It was decided by a unanimous vote that, in the future, our Sacred Heart School gymnasium facility would only be used for parish fund raisers.  Our current system is not feasible, nor is it cost effective.
  4. Harry reported that a few parishioners had questions about how our capital campaign funds would be used.  Fr. Darrin assured the council that all of the monies received for our capital campaign would be used only for the renovation of Sacred Heart Church.  If funds remain after the church renovations are completed, the remaining monies would be placed in the church’s “reserve fund” to be  used for the replacement of church assets.

V. SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS

A.    Harry Gooding will supply copies of the Pastoral Council Guidelines and the Diocese Guidelines at our next meeting.  Jack Connolly has the new roster ready and will supply copies at the same time.

B.     More suggestions were made for the placement of the Camp Tepeyac donated statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  Deacon Pete reminded us that the base of the statue still needs some repair.

VI. CLOSING PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 with Bud Bevenour leading the closing prayer. 

VII. NEXT MEETING

Our next meeting will be on Monday, October 5th at 5.30 p.m. in the St. Anthony Claret room.

Respectfully submitted,

Ginny Shugars, secretary



 

Pastoral Council Meeting Minutes

July 13, 2015  

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin Merlino, Gene Murphy, Matt Thomson, Ginny Shugars,  Jack Connolly, Roger Dubin, Kathy Huston, Harry Gooding, Greg Watts, Gary Toro, Claudia Jones-Lezama.

ABSENT:

Fr. Raj Irudayaraj, Bud Bevenour.

GUESTS:

Deacon Pete Balland, and visiting seminarian David Guttierrez.

I. OPENING PRAYER

Fr. Darrin opened the meeting at 5:00 p.m. with a prayer. 

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

It was moved and seconded that the June 8, 2015 minutes be approved as written.  The motion carried.

III. OLD BUSINESS

  1. Fr. Darrin asked for volunteers to chair the various capital campaign teams.  They are as follows:

Prayer Team – Jack Connolly (10-15 additional volunteers will be needed)

Events Team – Matt Thomson and Gary Toro (10-15 additional volunteers will be needed)

Ambassadors Team – Kathy Huston

Communications Team – Roger Dubin

Management Team and Steering Committee – Fr. Darrin, Deacon Pete, Gene Murphy, and Harry Gooding ( 7-8 additional volunteers will be needed for the Management Team, and the Steering Committee will need 40-50 members)

Bishop Olmsted has approved and signed the paperwork necessary for the parish to proceed with a capital campaign.

  1.      Darryl Prater, of Church Development, will be at the parish this Wednesday and Thursday, July 15th and 16th.  Council members were encouraged to attend the 3:30 Thursday, July 16th meeting with Darryl Prater to further familiarize themselves with the campaign requirements and ask any questions they might have.
  2.       Doug McMurren has been hired as our new music director-coordinator.  He will be working with the recently organized music committee to help make our Mass music as beautiful and inspiring as possible.  His professional credentials are excellent.  Also, our sound system is slowly, but surely being improved.
  3.       Fr. Quyen is being reassigned and will be leaving our parish later this month.  We were so fortunate to have him with us for at least a little while. Thank you Fr. Quyen. 
  4. Fr. Ralph should be returning to our parish permanently by August 20th.  He’s been at Our Lady of the Rosary in New York.
  5.       Gene updated the council on the amount of money and natural resources the parish is saving by implementing clean energy retrofitting.  The monetary savings for the parish is quite substantial as is the positive environmental impact.  Thank you Gene for your dedication and the priority you have given to these ongoing and very important projects. Practicing and advocating the use of ENERGY STAR, our present and future savings will help benefit our many parish ministries and our school.

IV. NEW BUSINESS

  1.  Jack Connolly, Harry Gooding, Bud Bevenour, and Matt Thomson met last week to brainstorm our parish interior evangelization.  They focused on hospitality and on developing a more welcoming experience from the church entry door to our sanctuary.  Concerning hospitality, Deacon Pete said that it was difficult to get volunteers for the greeters and ushers ministries.  They tended to be the hardest ministries to fill.  He explained that volunteers were asked to serve in only one ministry per Mass (i.e. Eucharistic minister, usher, lector, greeter, altar server, etc.).  It takes 120 volunteers to cover all of the Mass ministries each weekend. 

Possibly changing the front entry doors to provide a more welcoming and brighter entrance was suggested.  Ways to lighten up the hall from the entry to the sanctuary were discussed.

  1. The parish tri-board and school board potluck “meet and greet social” is scheduled for Monday, August 3rd at 5:00 p.m. at the parish Youth Center.  The Pastoral Council will greet Israel Erwin at that time.

V. SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS

1.      We will review and update the By-Laws at a future meeting.

2.       Gene will provide a quarterly financial report to the council members in the future.

3.       Suggestions are needed for the placement of the Camp Tepeyac donated statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

4.       We are awaiting red glass globes for our new candle holders to complete the renovation of our Adoration Chapel.

   5.      We’ve had 17 funerals in the last 30 days.

   6.       Suggestions for how Symbolon could be made available to more of our parishioners were discussed.

VI. CLOSING PRAYER

                The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 with Jack Connolly leading the closing prayer. 

VII. NEXT MEETING

Our next meeting will be on Monday, August 24th at 5.00 p.m. in the church library.  We will not have a September meeting, but are scheduled to meet on October 5th.

Respectfully submitted,

Ginny Shugars, secretary



 

Pastoral Council Meeting Minutes

April 7, 2014 

PRESENT:

Fr. Darrin Merlino, Ginny Shugars, Mike Peters, Mary Ann Bivans, Jack Connolly, Roger Dubin, Bud Bevenour, Harry Gooding,  Greg Watts.

ABSENT:

Gene Murphy, Kathy Huston

GUESTS:

Deacon Pete Balland

I. OPENING PRAYER

Fr. Darrin opened the meeting at 5:05 with a prayer. 

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Mary Ann moved that the minutes be approved, Mike seconded the motion.  The motion carried.

III. OLD BUSINESS

A.     Computerized photos of the preliminary sketches for our church remodel were studied.  Additional suggestions and possible costs were discussed.

B.      Roger, as a member of the Image Committee, presented a preliminary sketch of St. Anthony Mary Claret that his daughter is working on.  Barbara Dubin is working on the sketch of Jesus.  A sketch of Mary is also being made.  These three images will be combined and utilized as part of our parish “identity”.

C.     The LOTW (Light of the World) retreat will end this evening. There were about 50 actual participants including many of our council members.  There were a number of very favorable responses concerning the content of the retreat.  We will continue with the LOTW retreats and have scheduled our second one for August 8th

 

 

V. SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS

  Fr. Darrin suggested that due to a continual lack of space for our growing parish meetings and activities, in the future, our meeting rooms will be reserved for our parish ministries only.  He’s hoping to have this accomplished by July 1st

VI. CLOSING PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 6.00.  Jack Connolly led the closing prayer. 

VII. NEXT MEETING

Our next meeting will be on Monday, May 5 at 5.30 p.m. in the church library.

Respectfully submitted,

Ginny Shugars, secretary



Pastoral Council Meeting Minutes

March 3, 2014  

PRESENT:

 

Fr. Darrin Merlino, Gene Murphy, Mike Peters, Mary Ann Bivans,  Jack Connolly, Kathy Huston, Bud Bevenour, Harry Gooding, Greg Watts, Ginny Shugars.

ABSENT:

Miguel Calderon, Roger Dubin, Brian Sajko.

GUESTS:

DeaCon Pete Balland

I. OPENING PRAYER

Fr. Darrin opened the meeting at 5:30 with a prayer. 

II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The minutes were approved with the following additions. 

1.      Proposed “tag lines” were as follows:                (See “Old Business – A.)

      Salvation from the hill                                        Sacred Heart – a church for all people

      Salvation on the hill                                            Sacred Heart – more than just a building

      Salvation here and now                                       Love and acceptance always

2.      The Spanish community is a part of our image and should have a permanent representative on the parish council.  Currently, our Hispanic representative has been very busy with other parish meetings and has been unable to attend.

III. OLD BUSINESS

A.           The Image Committee report (email from Roger Dubin) noted that his daughter was working on the art for the logo.  The target date for completion of the three portraits is March 23rd.  The portraits will be put together and adjusted in photo shop.

B.            We have 48 people signed up for the first Light of the World retreat – April 4th-7th.  To date, 6-7 facilitators have volunteered to help.  Liaisons from other parishes may be attending to observe.

C.           Deacon Pete reported that the two cables were removed from the church ceiling today, the tabernacle should be back in sanctuary by this Friday, and the brass candles from our old Sacred Heart church are being refurbished and will be used again.  The tabernacle will be place on a wooden stand behind the altar.  The chairs, lectern, table, and old tabernacle will be donated to Yarnell once they are replaced with new furnishings.   The monstrance will be in the adoration chapel.  The sanctuary light will be moved to another location in the church. 

D.           Fr. Darrin reported that Fr. Paul will be leaving March 12th, but will return to help out for Holy week.  He said that the Mass offered at Embry Riddle will be discontinued the end of March.  Father would like ideas about what to do in the interim if we cancel our bulletin contract when it comes due.  He discussed his thoughts about tithing/giving, doing away with fund raising, donating a percentage of each Sundays first collection versus having a second collection, the possibility of using a kiosk in the church for people to use with their credit cards when they want to donate money, and the need for a catechetical information rack somewhere in the church

IV. NEW BUSINESS

1.      After some discussion, it was decided that Jimena Aragon, or another designated member of our Hispanic community that she could choose, should be a representative at our Pastoral Council meetings. 

2.      Pastoral Council member, Brian Sajko, has been unable to attend meetings due to a conflict with his job this semester.  It was decided that he be asked to take a temporary leave of absence until next semester in hopes that his schedule might change.

3.      It was noted that Will Wilson did resign his position on the council.

4.      Due to his busy parish schedule, Miguel Calderon will be asked to submit a letter of resignation from his council position. 

 

V. SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND CONCERNS

For planning purposes, future council meetings will be May 5th and June 2nd – both at 5:30.

VI. CLOSING PRAYER

The meeting was adjourned at 6:45 with Ginny Shugars leading the closing prayer. 

VII. NEXT MEETING

Next meeting will be on Monday, April 7th at 4:00 p.m. in the church library.

Respectfully submitted,

Ginny Shugars, secretary